Re: Opinions on ClicktoSecure's Hailstorm Product

From: Bill Pennington (billpat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 22:38:08 PDT

    I had the pleasure of watching Greg run Hailstorm through its paces and
    was impressed with it's abilities even though it was around 1 AM :).
    This is a great R&D/QA tool, it is the closest thing I have seen to an
    automated vulnerability finder. eEye has Retina which is good with its
    attack language but Hailstorm makes it easier to rapidly test a device
    or application.

    Having said that I struggle to find good uses for it during a pen test.
    I mean for a application pen test (I am thinking web application here)
    you can rapidly abuse a myriad on URL parameters in a short amount of
    time, this is good (well great IMHO) but we found it a little to
    involved to put in our standard arsenal.

    That and some licensing issues (why does money always get in the way??)
    made us decide not to deploy it.

    Bottom line though really cool tool that I am sure will get even better.
    Anything that helps developers produce more secure products is great.
    Now if Microsoft would just purchase a ton of copies maybe we could all
    get a few days off...

    --

    Bill Pennington - CISSP