RE: New laws in the wings

From: Mike Denka (mdenkat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 17:15:10 PDT

    Keep in mind that, as far as I can see, this discussion hinges around
    section 306 of the ATA.  99 percent of the ATA seems to concern itself
    primarily with processes used to gather evidence, what evidence is or is not
    permissable in court, and maximum penalties allowed for terrorist
    activities.  That said, concerning section 306, your concern is well taken.

    But I'm not sure that the changes to existing law as outlined in this
    section deviate sufficiently from current statutes to make the case that
    public information sharing will suddenly be taken as providing services
    "knowing or intending that [those] services or [that] assistance is to be
    used in preparing for or carrying out terrorism crimes."  Existing law
    already states that providing "material support or resources" to terrorists
    is prohibited.  It seems to me that existing law could already apply to
    sharing of information in public forums if the courts wanted to use it that
    way.  However, if anyone believes that use of the word "intending" here
    suggests a new zeal in our government's desire to suffocate free speech and
    information sharing, let's be specific about the portion of the bill to
    which we object.  Wouldn't it be more prudent to argue points of the bill
    that may be troublesome rather than to attempt to muster up blanket
    opposition to a bill when only a very small portion of it may be
    objectionable?

    Mike

    >> As for the concern over the definition of "intent":  first of
    >> all, where in
    >> the bill, specifically, do you find fault with the use of
    >> that term?  Also,
    >> it seems to me that any intent would have to be proven, as
    >> always in our
    >> courts, beyond a reasonable doubt.

    >And with the example above, when you reply to the list, why do you do it?
    To share your knowledge
    >or your insight. To help everyone. That is intent. To share your knowledge
    of breaking into
    >systems - here, or Bugtraq. Before you reply to someone's question, either
    on *or off* the list,
    >do you perform "some up front research on the authenticity" of the person
    you are replying to?
    >What about where you go to get your tools? Was there any screening done
    there before you were
    >granted access to them? I doubt a statement like, "Use at your own risk."
    Or, "Proof of concept
    >only." comments in the header section of some source will mean much in the
    end.