Re: Non-GUI intrusion

From: KK Mookhey (kkmookheyat_private)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 01:00:36 PDT

    Hi,
    This query was on  a pen-test we had to conduct where we had access to the DMZ
    but needed to go really under the radar to get to the machines in the intranet.
    (A blue team was watching)
    Thanks to all those who replied. As a result of which, we were able to achieve
    our objective of capturing the source code files, without raising alarms. We did
    this by using nbtdump (and not enum, it has a very large footprint). This was
    carried out during normal working hours, when it would be usual for the Win
    machines to be exchanging such information. After that we used the net use
    commands, for the rest.
    The problematic part was pinpointing the machine which would have the source
    code (as I had stated earlier, there were 100+ machines on the intranet). One of
    the machines had its name as USERNAME-DEV. This was our clue (Dev=Development),
    and it gave us what we needed. Since we only needed a few files to prove our
    point (the source code was the capture flag), we took them and left. Removed
    nbtdump, pwdump2, hk, etc and outputs of these. Cleared logs on DMZ machines
    (where we had been most noisy).
    We had a deadline for the project, which we would not have met, had it not been
    for the inputs from this list.
    Thanks again.
    KKM