HTTP PUT exploitation

From: Tim Russo (trussoat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 13:02:31 PDT

    Quick question. I have a client who has a misconfigured IIS server (that's
    new) which allows anyone to do HTTP PUT commands and place files on the www
    server. Is exploiting this as simple as "putting" something like netcat in
    the cgi-bin directory and running it with the port listen options? What if
    you cannot place files in the cgi-bin directory? How can I use PUT to get a
    shell on this system? I know this is a basic question but this is the first
    time I found someone has actually done this.

    -Tim

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/