Re: Testing a WinCE device

From: Ichinin (ichininat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 03:24:20 PDT

    Logan Browne wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone had references or tools to use in pen testing a
    > WinCE handheld?

    I played around a while ago with a MIPS based
    PocketPC; (Symbol 2740) tested ports/services,
    i found one thing that may be of intrest, when
    i did a simple portscan against the machine, it
    froze(!) and i had to do a reset of the device.
    (B nice, if someone could confirm this...)

    Also, i do not know if the WEP keys (registry)
    were encrypted with a system specific key, so i
    could (in theory) just transfer those to a new
    system and access any (non-mac filtering) AP
    and gain similar access.

    (Anyway, This was way before everyone knew that
    wep had so severe flaws)

    Regards,
    Ichinin

    Disclaimer; Author is currently ill; headache, muscle
    pains, could suffer from flu-dissorientation. Have
    barely enough strenght to write code and access the
    internet.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/