Re: A tool for crafting ESP packets

From: Nelson Brito (nelson@tw-award.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 13:31:27 PDT

: Loki wrote:
:
: > Also, AH isn't a "packet" it
: > provides authentication mechanisms for IP datagrams and protection
against
: > replay attacks.

So, AH and ESP is a packet, in "IPSec Securing VPNs" from RSA Press, the
author Carlton R. Davis shays:
pg. 199: "In tunnel mode AH is inserted before the original IP header and a
new IP header is inserted in front of the AH."

So, you'll see this "PACKET" like a "AH PACKET", am I wrong? I don't think
so.

See the diagrams:
IPv4 Header before applying AH:
[variable-length] [transport protocol] [transport protocol]
[  option filed   ] [        header          ][          data           ]

IPv4 Header after apllying AH:
[new IP Header] [  authentication   ]  [original IP header] [TPH] [TPD]
[  option field    ] [header, a.k.a AH] [   option field       ] [        ]
[       ]

: Then "ESP" isn't really a packet either, since it's just the encrypted
: payload.  By the way, you can have a "AH" packet i.e.

Good point of view. ;-)

: Just my $0.02 on this.

Send me the number of yours Bank account. ;-)

Sem mais,
--
# Nelson Brito
# Security Consultant and Penetration Tester

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/