Re: Nmap issues...? or router?

From: Alex Butcher (alexat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 05:39:49 PDT

    bluefur0r bluefur0r wrote:
    > After just completeing an audit for a company that has a DS-3 connection (shared) and a cisco router (2015), One of the first issues that was found was this: When nmaping using -sS and all ports, 1 nmap scan nmaping 1 host at a time appeared to completely destroy their bandwidth... Has anyone heard of this? Could this be a Router or ISP problem??? It took very long to complete because i needed to use the -T Polite option. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever encountered nmap using up all network resources for such a high volume connection. Any help would be appreciated so this never happens again. *Luckily I started after hours*
    > blue

    I've seen similar; some firewalls (e.g. WatchGuard) start blocking
    connections from hosts that generate 'x' policy violations in a
    given time.

    Bleh.

    Best Regards,
    Alex.
    --
    Alex Butcher                                      PGP/GnuPG Key IDs:
    Consultant, S3 Systems Security Services          alex@s3       B7709088

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/