RE: Pen-Testing Lotus Notes/Domino

From: jjoreat_private
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 14:08:52 PDT

    While most of the points this presentation raises are correct, there are a
    few gotchas:

    No password server.id files:
    Yes, this is normal. You are expected to keep these files secure. Do not
    grant file system access to the server to non-admins. (as an aside, you
    can corrupt databases by allowing network file system access on a running
    server anyway).

    database.nsf?$DefaultNav?OpenNavigator
    See also $DefaultForm?OpenForm, $DefaultView?OpenView.

    HTTP password is visible.
    The *hashed* password is visible to notes client users. The default
    behaviour is to use a slightly less secure hash which is vunerable to
    dictionary attacks. They may be upgraded to a salted hash.

    ID files in the address book
    This is a setting and isn't nessessarily the default

    HTTP password = ID password.
    That's just hoey and is not correct. It is not uncommon for users/admins
    to make this happen but it doesn't happen out of the box. This is just a
    "What, I need *another* password?" issue.

    Stored Forms
    <<Explained in detail>>
    Yes exactly, go pick up a book on Domino development. The key here is to
    create a database with a form, embed whatever mal-code you wish, set the
    form to 'stored' and then have the form mail itself to users. This is
    where the ECL protects you from untrusted users.

    I would also add the additional point that notes RPC traffic is not
    encrypted by default. While you won't be able to get someone's id file or
    password by sniffing you can get document contents. Also, while the RPC
    hasn't been reverse engineered (to my knowledge) it still may be in the
    future. There are probably one or two holes in that.

    Lastly, I'm not sure whether Lotus has deemed it a bug or not but using
    the API call NSFDbReadObject you can extract file attachments regardless
    of document security. See recent bugtraq traffic on Notes for more info.

    Joshua b. Jore

    "Enno Rey" <erey@security-academy.de>
    10/09/01 02:28 PM