Re: DENY x REJECT

From: niceshortsat_private
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 13:37:05 PDT

    Ofir Arkin hat geschrieben:

    >The best way to differ between a port which the firewall is configured
    >to "drop" a packet(s) and a port the firewall is configured to "reject"
    >a packet(s) is to look for the ICMP Error Message (Destination
    >Unreachable - Communication with Destination Network is Administratively
    >Prohibited) as you stated.

        This is to expand on what Ofir wrote.

        If a TCP packet is =not= filtered, and there is no listening
        socket, the response should be a RST. This should also be taken
        into account. If a UDP packet is =not= filtered, and there is
        a listening socket, a response is application layer specific
        and typically a misunderstood datagram will be dropped. So a
        firewall dropping a UDP packet and a listening UDP socket can
        be difficult to differentiate. If there is no listening
        UDP socket, a Destination Port Unreachable message should be
        returned. But if we are talking about a firewall between
        source and destination, we don't know anything if the
        firewall happens to drop those Unreachables. Such is life
        made more difficult.

    >Today, I am not familiar with any tool parsing the ICMP Error message
    >coming from a port which the firewall rejects the packets for.

        Perhaps,

        icmpinfo -vvvn

    >As a thumb rule configuring a firewall to "reject" rather than "drop" is
    >a mistake. The firewall needs to be transparent as possible for traffic
    >going through.

        It depends if the firewall returns a RST on reject. One
        example where this is useful is to RST ident. I think the
        actual reject response (ICMP or TCP RST) is implementation
        specific and depends on semantics.

    --
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Object Not Found
    ERROR 404: Object Not Found.