RE: cracking cisco passwords

From: Joshua Wright (Joshua.Wrightat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 08:30:36 PDT

    Brute force with a dictionary attack would be your best option.  The
    type 5 password is based on the MD5 hash algorithm.  You could create
    a perl program with a CPAN module to calculate the hashes.

    The $ in the MD5 hash separates the field into three parameters:

    $1 - version 1 ?
    $6Je2 - salt
    $MurE4FTzoZjQShRW4Ui9H0 - base 64 encoded password hash

    I suspect however, that if you have access to the router (switch?)
    with the IOS HTTP vulnerability, you can simply change the password,
    and reestablish the original password at a later time.

    - -Joshua Wright
    Team Leader, Networks and Systems
    Johnson & Wales University
    Joshua.Wrightat_private

    pgpkey: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD44B4A73
    fingerprint: FDA5 12FC F391 3740 E0AE BDB6 8FE2 FC0A D44B 4A73