Re: Do ICMP re-directs actually work ?

From: foobat_private
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 04:23:20 PST

    According to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server:
    TCP/IP Core Networking Guide:

    "When a Windows 2000-based computer received an ICMP
    Redirect message, IP verifies that it came from the first-hop gateway in
    the current router and that the gateway is on a directly connected
    network.  If so, a host route with a 10-minute lifetime is added to
    the router table for that destination IP address."

    Then goes on to say that, otherwise, the redirect is ignored.

    Of course, you could spoof the source address (and maybe
    the source MAC address if necessary?) of the ICMP
    packet.  But, the problem I had, was the ICMP message
    has to contain data from a previously sent IP packet.

    If you can sniff traffic, and Pepsi sends something
    out via its default route, you could send the ICMP
    redirect, containing the sniffed packet, and forged
    IP headers.  Now Pepsi will add a temporary route
    for the original host through whatever (local) machine
    you specify.

    The book gives no details on what validation is performed
    on the ICMP payload, but i seem to remember I how no luck
    with this capture/redirect scenario.  Maybe i missed something.

    If you get anywhere, please pass the results on!

    Cheers,

    - foob