RE: Do ICMP re-directs actually work ?

From: Mike Gilles (mike.gillesat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 06:38:54 PST

    On a Security note:  Keep in mind that ICMP redirects (ICMP type 5 packets)
    are unauthenticated.  And when ever possible it not be used and/or filtered
    on any external subnet.  (e.g. There's no method of authentication; meaning
    that a host will on blind faith accept an ICMP redirect.  So someone with
    malicious intent could, using a third party tool, send a false redirect to a
    host and cause a denial of service attack against the host by messing with
    it's routing table.)

    Just my 2 cents...

     Michael John Gilles
     Lead Security Engineer, MCSE