Re: Cisco HTTP IOS Vuln Clarification

From: Jim Duncan (jnduncanat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 14:12:26 PST

    Josha Bronson writes:
    > Little question regarding the Cisco IOS HTTP Admin vuln that was
    > released a while ago.
    >
    > As most of you probably know the vuln I won't discuss it. See
    > <http://securityfocus.com/bid/2936>.
    >
    > Can anyone clarify whether or not a server may be vulnerable only to a
    > subset of the numbers in the range? Meaning that "/level/17/exec/" may
    > work to access the system but "/level/99/exec/" may not. Or is it the
    > nature of this vulnerability that if a system is accessible via one URL
    > than it would be accessible via all?

    In theory, yes.  This was a difficult vulnerability to resolve because
    it was so difficult to reproduce initially.

    The problem occurs because of an improper branch when the unexpected
    levels are employed.  The results are highly dependent on the IOS
    release, the particular feature sets, and the hardware on the system.
    With certain combinations, none of the values result in a useful
    exploit.  With other configurations, _every_ value might work.  With
    most configurations, only a certain subset of those integers will result
    in an exploit, but they are usually consistently reproducible once a
    combination is found.

    Once we tracked down the actual problem in the source code, we were able
    to identify platforms and releases that were vulnerable even though no
    one had successfully executed the exploit against them.  So in theory,
    yes, "If the system is accessible via one URL then it would be
    accessible via all," but one's ability to successfully exploit the
    vulnerability will vary widely depending on the hardware and software on
    the target system.

    > On the systems I've tested they all work.

    Interesting.  However, failure does not imply invulnerability.  It's
    best to review the original advisory at http://www.cisco.com/go/psirt/
    to determine if a particular release is vulnerable.

    > Thanks for your help, there is just way to many revisions of IOS
    > vulnerable to test them all, ;)

    Tell me about it. :-)

    I hope this helps answer your question.

    	Jim

    ==
    Jim Duncan, Product Security Incident Manager, Cisco Systems, Inc.
    <http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/sec_incident_response.shtml>
    E-mail: <jnduncanat_private>  Phone(Direct/FAX): +1 919 392 6209

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/