Re: A tool for crafting ESP packets

From: samsi data (samsidataat_private)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 20:00:44 PST

    Actually nmap does send malformd AH/ESP datagrams (or packets, not sure what
    else you would call them). Well, sort of. Do a tcpdump while doing an nmap
    IP Protocol scan and you will see zero length AH/ESP (IP protocol 51/50)
    datagrams (as well as every other IP protocol between 0 and 255) being sent
    to the target with the goal of eliciting an ICMP IP Protocol unreachable.

    There was vulnerability in OpenBSD's IPSEC implementation where you could
    crash the box with an Nmap IP Protocol scan that illustrates this issue. See
    http://securityfocus.com/bid/1723

    - s d