Re: Pen-Testing help (Compaq Insight & htsearch)

From: warchild (warchildat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 19:47:56 PST

    > "Unable to read word database file '/xxx/xxx/htdig/db/db.words.db' Did you
    > run htmerge?" [xxx are for obscurity] :)
    >
    > Any help with either one of these and/or general Digital-Unix pen-test info
    > would be very helpful.

    If you have write access of some part to the machine in question (local
    user, anonymous ftp), then you can craft your own config file and pass  it
    to htsearch using "-c <path-to-config-file>".  Its not much, but it will
    get you read access to files should permissions allow it.

    For example, I wrote a config file like the following:

    	nothing_found_file: /etc/passwd
    	database_dir: <path-to-anonymous-ftp>/incoming

    and uploaded it to <path-to-anonymous-ftp>/incoming, then made blank db
    files as htsearch will complain if they aren't found.  What it gets you is
    the contents of /etc/passwd after passing this dummy config to htsearch.
    Its not much, but it is a start.

    -warchild

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/