RE: NT/IIS decoy

From: Clement-Evans, Rhys (Rhys.Clement-Evansat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 02:00:03 PST

    I believe that there are three (or more?) ways to do this. One is to write
    your own ISAPI filter - not having played with this I cannot comment on how
    effective it is.

    Another method is by modifying the w3svc.dll file as you have already done.

    You do need to ensure that only the 'text' characters are modified, and I
    suspect that you may have overrun the text section when editing it
    previously (this solution has worked for me on IIS4 systems, so I can say
    for certain that it will work). If you'd prefer not to hand-edit the file
    then you could try a third party  w3svc.dll specific editor (for example
    http://www.nstalker.com/banners.php (IIS-Banner-Edit) - I haven't used this
    and the usual 'you use it at your own risk' disclaimer applies)

    IIS 5 is a different story - the Win2k file protection system will revert a
    modified w3svc.dll back to the original vanilla version. I would assume that
    you can modify the w3svc.dll in the DLL cache and that this will then be a
    permanent change. Not having a Win2k system to hand I am unable to provide
    verification on this (if you try it then please let me know how it goes).

    The third method is by installing the Microsoft IIS Lockdown utility and
    setting the URLScan RemoveServerHeader variable to 1, and the
    AlternateServerName to the text of your choice. This would be my preferred
    option as you don't need to worry about service pack/patch file overwrites
    of w3svc.dll. Further details of lockdown are available from
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
    tools/locktool.asp - or for a quick look at the URLScan options -
    http://www.iisfaq.com/Articles/384/

    Enjoy

    Rhys