Raptor Firewall 6.5 Config

From: Josh (joshat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 18:37:37 PST

    Hello,

    I am conducting a blind penetration test for a client
    and have identified the firewall to be Raptor 6.5. It
    appears to be loosely configured as the Raptor HTTP
    proxy server vulnerability
    (http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2517) exists, and I
    can reach internal addresses, etc.

    The port scan on the network revealed that many
    TCP ports were open on the firewall and on the hosts
    behind it. What seems strange to me is that the
    results of the nmap scan show the same ports open
    for every "active" host identified behind the Raptor.

    Is it possible that Raptor is talking to nmap and
    opening ports based on a single ruleset for any host
    behind the firewall? I can confirm that the hosts are
    separate machines using other techniques. For
    example, I don't see why the Raptor has port
    1433/TCP open for the Solaris machine I can see in
    addition to several NT 4.0 hosts that might be running
    MS SQL Server.

    The nmap scan shows the following ports open for
    ANY host that I can ping or confirm as being alive and
    behind the Raptor:

    Port       State       Service (RPC)
    21/tcp     open        ftp
    23/tcp     open        telnet
    25/tcp     open        smtp
    70/tcp     open        gopher
    80/tcp     open        http
    110/tcp    open        pop-3
    119/tcp    open        nntp
    139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
    443/tcp    open        https
    444/tcp    open        snpp
    445/tcp    open        microsoft-ds
    512/tcp    open        exec
    513/tcp    open        login
    514/tcp    open        shell
    554/tcp    open        rtsp
    1433/tcp   open        ms-sql-s
    1720/tcp   open        unknown
    5631/tcp   open        pcanywheredata
    7070/tcp   open        unknown
    8080/tcp   open        http-proxy
    8181/tcp   open        unknown

    Can anyone with Raptor 6.5 experience speak to
    this? Does this match up to some default
    configuration for 6.5?

    It seems to me that the firewall is misconfigured. For
    example, a developer could put a vanilla install of IIS 4
    on one of my client's NT machines and unknowlingly
    open up the whole network to attack since port 80 is
    opened by Raptor for the host even though it isn't
    currently running an HTTP service.

    Josh <joshat_private>

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/