Re: Raptor Firewall 6.5 Config

From: Mike Shaw (mshawat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 09:12:28 PST

    I worked with raptor for several years, and what you are observing are the
    infamous "Raptor false positives".

    It's been few months since I worked with a Raptor box, but my understanding
    is this.  Once raptor has a standard proxy or GSP enabled, it 'opens' that
    port on all interfaces.  It allows you to make the connection to the
    outside interface, and then uses the rules to allow or deny the subsequent
    proxied connection.  Thus, you can 'connect' to all those ports, but you
    won't actually connect to the host unless there is a rule allowing it.

    So the only real danger is if they have misconfigured their rules.  If they
    put an "http universe - universe" rule in there, then yes--you'll be able
    to hit any box on the inside.  However, if they have a well designed
    ruleset you will only be able to hit the boxes they've explicitly
    allowed.  And if they've done it *right*, you will only be able to initiate
    connections from the outside (thereby eliminating any shoveled prompts,
    mailed pwdump output, etc).

    However, the fact that they have not patched the firewall indicates a high
    probability of over-permissive rules.

    Another thing to watch out for.  If they used a GSP (generic proxy) on
    those high ports (7070, 8080, etc) instead of the regular HTTP proxies,
    then you can do things that the normal HTTP proxy would have blocked.  I
    *think* this is true for FTP too if they used a redirection instead of the
    normal proxy method (normal being log in to the outside interface then use
    username@hostname to be forwarded).

    It's no fun for an auditor/pen-tester, because a plain ol' port scan won't
    give you the intelligence you're looking for.  Instead, you have to look
    through manually or do some creative scripting.  On the other hand, you can
    instantly tell certain things, since an open port other than the default
    list means a rule from 'somewhere to somewhere' which probably wouldn't be
    there unless it's in use.  For instance, you know they are using PCAnywhere
    and MSSQL.  That's something you may or may not have known before.

    Remember too that they can do port redirection, so even if you do see a
    particular service running on all hosts, that could mean that they've
    redirected several or all IP:ports to a single internal box.

    -Mike