RE: Autonmy Search engine

From: Pybus, David (DPybus@colt-telecom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 07:46:10 PST

    >Has anybody had any experiance with autonomy search products and/or know of

    >any vulnerabilities one should be aware of B4 installing?
    >
    >Thanx,  JS

    I used this in a previous job to try and search the net for useful security
    information with the intention of writing advisories and the like. I found
    it very difficult to get any useful information out of when used in an
    Internet as opposed to Intranet environment. It tended to return spurious
    information or return a massive generalist FAQ in respone to a very specific
    question. A lot less use than the likes of Altavista or Google - which are
    free as opposed to £xxxxx. The configuration is anything but intuitive and
    the number of times I had to go into immense detail with their support guys
    before they'd believe there was even a slight problem wasn't funny.

    The worst thing was that it seemed to produce masses of page faults and eat
    memory like it was going out of fashion. The box had 512Mb and it was pretty
    regular to come in the next morning to find that the Dynamic Reasoning
    Engine (DRE) had crashed big time and the system wasn't responding to
    queries. Often it would lose memory down a black hole somewhere such that
    even killing and restarting all the processes didn't fix the problem and a
    re-start was required.

    From a purist security perspective the main issues I can remember finding
    were that the entire webroot allowed everyone write access, when it only
    needed write access to one file for a whiteboard function that in all
    probability nobody would ever use. Also you would to check the conf files
    for IP address filtering, as you may find that by default anyone who can
    connect to the box on the correct port can wipe the entire contents of the
    database if they happen to have a copy of the AdminGUI from somewhere.

    From a security perspect the only way I would consider running it if you're
    worried about security is like this:
    	"Intranet"<->FW<->WWW<->FW<->Autonomy<->FW->
    Then allow a one way stateful connection from Autonomy to whatever you want
    to index.

    Good luck, going from experience you will need it.

    Kind regards,

    David Pybus

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/