Re: Medium Scale Scanning Best Practices

From: Erlend J. Leiknes (nookieat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 17:37:55 PST

    You could program it in python using the telnet library.

    Most services has a welcome message, and you could use that as a fingerprint
    of the version.
    Ofcourse services like http require you to send something before you get any
    useful data back (server version info etc...)
    but that should be very possible (write exceptions for a group of ports that
    need you to send data first).

    Since its fingerprinting you wouldnt need to remember the version, all you
    need to know is:
    what type of service is located on that port
    will the welcome header reveal the services-version

    if that is the case, then you could easly search through your scan-logs and
    see what services that are vurnable. (this should be done by looking at a
    bugtraq.

    You will also be able to tell when there are new deamons installed on the
    network, which might reveal hacked machines.

    For more information about how to write such application (www.python.org)
    You should be able to learn the language in 3-4 days.