Re: testing for IP address space leakage in NAT systems

From: Gamble (a629wat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 15:04:24 PST

    On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, R P G wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone knows of a method to test a NAT system for
    > address space leakage.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --Bob

    The easiest way to do this is try a zone transfer (host -l abc.com).  If
    the DNS servers are not set up correctly, you have a good shot at having a
    list of the internal machines.  Also, sometimes if you traceroute to a
    machine, you will get the internal IP of the gateway, which might be of
    use.  SNMP might also be good to you and give you a few internal IP's, but
    there is a very good chance that the firewall will block SNMP, but you
    might get lucky.

    I havn't heard of any specific tools to tast for leaks, and from what I
    have seen in the past, the best method is to query the various network
    servers which are known to give away network information.

    -- Jamie

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/