Re: testing for IP address space leakage in NAT systems

From: Iván Arce (core.lists.pentest@core-sdi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 15:44:54 PST

    Hi,
     this is just an idea , i havent had time to actually test it, so...

    I would try using IP fragmentation or TCP reassembly tricks with protocols
    that
    require payload rewriting at the NAT device. An example of this would be
    FTP control messages.
    It proved usefull to open holes thru packet filtering firewalls with
    stateful inspection so it might as well work for obtaining internal
    adresses.

    Pointers to related stuff:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1045

    Cool stuff presented by Tomas Lopatic,John MacDonald and Dug Song
    at BlackHat Briefings LV 2000:
    http://www.blackhat.com/presentations/bh-usa-00/Song-McDonald-Lopatic/Song_M
    cDonald_lopatic.ppt

    FW-1
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1054
    PIX
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1877
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1698

    then again a simple email would be equally usefull

    -ivan

    ---

    "Understanding. A cerebral secretion that enables one having it to know
     a house from a horse by the roof on the house,
     Its nature and laws have been exhaustively expounded by Locke,
     who rode a house, and Kant, who lived in a horse." - Ambrose Bierce

    Ivan Arce
    CTO
    CORE SECURITY TECHNOLOGIES

    44 Wall Street - New York, NY 10005
    Ph: (212) 461-2345
    Fax: (212) 461-2346
    http://www.corest.com

    PGP Fingerprint: C7A8 ED85 8D7B 9ADC 6836  B25D 207B E78E 2AD1 F65A