RE: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: Emmanuel Gadaix (emmanuelat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 18:59:50 PST

    GSM security is generally not very well understood by your average
    "pentest" company.

    There is one company that is specializing in this domain. Check out
    http://www.globerelay.com

    The pentest of a GSM network does involve "normal" security work (e.g.
    firewall assessment, host hardening, application review, routers security,
    etc.)
    It mostly involve testing GSM Network Elements (NE) such as MSC, HLR, BSC,
    BTS, VMS, OTA, SMSC, IN, etc. Such NEs sometimes run obscure operating
    systems and are very proprietary. Most of them assume knowledge of digital
    signalling protocols such as SS7 (MTP, SCCP, TCAP, MAP, ISUP, BSSAP, INAP,
    CAMEL).

    The most important part of a GSM network are actually not the NEs
    themselves but the OSS network that managed them. As such, platforms such
    as the NMS (Network Management system), the mediation device and the
    billing system environment are very critical to the security of the GSM
    infrastructure.

    For anybody who's interested I have written a paper last year (that was
    presented at Blackhat Hong Kong and Singapore) on GSM security, so feel
    free to ask and I'll send you a copy.

    Regards
    Emmanuel