Re: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: Tom Buelens (emailat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 10:40:54 PST

    > For anybody who's interested I have written a paper last year (that was
    > presented at Blackhat Hong Kong and Singapore) on GSM security, so feel
    > free to ask and I'll send you a copy.

    So the Blackhat has fallen :-)

    The info that I found comes from the CCC.
    On their congress of last december they had a guy from a German Telecom
    operator that spoke of the IMSI catcher.See
    http://www.ccc.de/congress/2001/fahrplan/event/340.en.html
    ftp://ftp.ccc.de/pub/congress/congress01/mp3/vortraege/tag2/saal2/28-s2-1300
    -IMSI-Catcher.mp3
    http://channelnet.tv/18c3.html

    It's a tool from a german firm called Rohde & Schwarz that uses the methode
    1 (see previous mail). The tool comes in 2 versions, one compliant with
    german law and one exclusively for export. It is an expencive piece of
    equipement. It's use is not undetectable but because of the complexity and
    vastness of modern networks it does not raise any allarmbells.

    Methode 2 can be done with a DIY kit. Again see CCC site for more details :
    http://www.ccc.de:8080/thema/gsm/
    On the encryption part: yes encryption is used in many parts of the GSM
    concept. That does not mean it is 'Good Crypto' (tm) as in 'Unbreakable' (c)
    (tm) (Pat.Pend.)

    Know that these are powerfull tools. This power is easy to abuse. Proven by
    the incident from the ComversInfosys guys.
    There once was a post on Fox news. It has 'gone away'.
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/12/18/224826.shtml
    http://www.security.nl/misc/comverse-scandal/file02.txt

    They make a Lawfull Investigation tool according to CALEA J-STD-025 and ETSI
    ES-201-671 standards for both circuit switched and Next Generation networks.
    But they are not the only one.
    Comverse Inofsys
    http://anon.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.cominfosys.com/Content/CTMiniHome
    Page.asp?CID=1
    Nice http://www.nice.com/iss/products/nicetrack.html
    European ETSI
    http://webapp.etsi.org/workprogram/Report_WorkItem.asp?WKI_ID=8789
    US
    http://global.ihs.com/search_res.cfm?RID=TIA&INPUT_DOC_NUMBER=IS%2DJ%2DSTD%2
    D025&partial_match=on&nbr_rows=25

    Happy clicking.
    (I hope I don't lose my NATO clearance :-)

    Cheers,
    Tom
    CISSP 27411

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/