Re: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: Emmanuel Gadaix (emmanuelat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 19:28:12 PST

    You can find interesting information on such topics at:

    http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/gsm.html

    At 09:16 PM 1/26/2002, M Lister wrote:
    > > 2. You can copy a sim card.
    >
    >Please forgive me if this sounds naive, but I was under a *STRONG*
    >impression that it is practically impossible to copy a smart card. [Isnt
    >that what is used as a SIM card]. From the little that I know of smart
    >cards, security is their forte. I know absolute security is an unknown
    >concept but still copying a smart card, wouldnt that be too
    >difficult?? Wouldnt the cost involved in doing so probably be more than
    >the benefits?
    >
    >A smart card can deny access to certain memory regions based on how it is
    >programmed. A card that has crappy programming can be exploited, but would
    >this statement of yours always be true. If yes, I would love a small
    >explanation.
    >
    > > 3. You can eavesdrop comunications between basestations.
    >
    >Out of plain curiosity, is the data encrypted while in transit. I asked
    >the dealer here in my country who promptly replied YES, but I doubt he had
    >even a vague idea of what I was talking about. Given the amount of data
    >and the required level of low latency in cell phones and the fact SIM
    >cards are no Crays, I would *LOGICALLY* doubt it. But then I would love to
    >be sure.
    >
    >Also if some one were to sniff/eavesdrop  such a conversation, how would
    >he go about doing it? I am not asking for the exact info but a generic
    >example would be wonderful.
    >
    >With regards,

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/