Re: Questions on GSM Penetration test

From: M Lister (mlist@m-net.arbornet.org)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 21:09:43 PST

    > Aren't there Canadians watching US satelite broadcasts ?
    > Remember how some Canadians experienced the superbowl.

    Well, actually I am neither Canadian nor American. And I really have no
    idea of what you are talking abt. :)) Is the US Satellite Broadcast
    restricted to just the US??

    > In reverse enginereing you do not allways have to use 'digital' equipement.
    > You can 'peal off' a smart card layer by layer. You may try this at home
    > (but you will not get any result). There are other approaches. I do not know
    > them.

    What would you mean by "peal off"? Would that be some kind of physical
    tampering? Most smart cards often have some kind of "Tamper Resistant
    Sealing". Also if you try to peal of the adhesive coating, you will most
    probably break the delicate fuse wire which most Smart Card companies run
    in that adhesive coating, thereby making the whole smart-card completely
    useless.

    But what you have said sounds pretty interesting. So far everything I read
    seemed to indicate smart cards are tamper proof... well maybe not tamper
    proof but *TAMPER RESISTANT* might be a better word.

    Tom, if what you are saying is correct, people can make large amounts of
    money, just copying smart cards with applications like "Pre Paid Telephone
    Cards", "Electronic Purses" etc.

    > If you are a smardcard maker and you are looking to test the security of
    > your card click on this http://www.tpd.tno.nl/smartsite.html?id=41 [For

    I will do just that. Looks like the site is graphical. Will need to start
    X for this... what a pain. :(

    And hey, Emmanuel, the site you sent:
    http://www.isaac.cs.berkeley.edu/isaac/gsm.html
    doesnt seem to be accessible at all.

    With Regards,
    M.

    In God I Trust -- on all others I use dsniff.

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/