RE: Can you impersonate a client side cert??

From: Bryan Allerdice (bryan_allerdiceat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 12:49:08 PST

    This post attracted my attention because a company I used to work for a few
    years ago used personal certs as to limit access to administrative pages.

    In that implementation, the website (IIS 5.0) was configured to restrict
    access to the admin pages by personal cert, then they used some ASP to look
    at certain certificate characteristics, including the CN or Common Name
    property.

    In an attempt to test the security of the admin pages, I trawled through the
    website looking for staff email addresses, issued myself a cert, and gave it
    valid CN and other properties. I tried connecting to the admin pages, and a
    window popped up asking me for my personal cert, but the cert list was
    empty. It turned out for some reason that only certs issued by trusted
    certificate authorities would appear in my list.

    So, I looked for a trusted cert authority that I could use to generate a
    certificate with the right properties. It has been a while now, so I can't
    remember who I used, but I did find one provider that would let me specify a
    common name in such a way that it appeared to be a Thawte certificate.
    Unfortunately, part of the sign up procedure was specifying your email
    address. If I gave the email address of a valid employee, THEY would receive
    the email containing the certificate. That would mean I would need to steal
    their mail. Break in, send them an email with a trojan that would grab the
    mail for me, whatever.

    So I stopped at this point. I had done enough to prove that there was a
    chance, a small chance, that someone could generate a certificate that would
    trick our system. It would require someone to be able to grab someone's
    mail, but we all know about a billion stupid viruses that can do that. An
    employee of a certification authority would have an easy time doing it.

    Now.... does this mean that all applications that use personal certs as a
    "key" are vulnerable? No. In this instance, certain parts of a cert were
    being looked at by some ASP, and that really wasn't enough to guarantee that
    the cert offered by the client was the real thing. Before I could suggest an
    better solution, we totally changed our admin access method, and certs
    didn't play a part.

    Anyway, I haven't dealt with certs very much since then, so I don't know
    what other ways people use them, check their validity, etc. Perhaps the more
    experienced people in this list can through their two cents worth in.

    BRYAN