Re: Unusual ports found in nmap scan

From: Aaron Higbee (aaronat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 08:49:29 PST

    Hi Dave,

    If you do a few searches you will see that 445 is the new "NetBios"
    (kinda.)  Microst-DS, or Microsoft Directory Services. It's great for
    penetration testers because a lot of firewall admins have blocked the
    standard Netbios ports.

    Quick Tip:  Netbios brute force attacks with brutus work fine if you change
    the target port from 139 to 445.

    Quick Tip #2:  Null session enumeration works over 445 too. Yay!

    --Aaron Higbee