Online commonly used password database

From: Mike Shaw (mshawat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 15:20:32 PST

    Does anyone know of a commonly used password database?  I know that
    dictionaries and password list files abound.  But what I'm thinking of is a
    central Big-Ol'(tm) database of passwords that's constantly being updated
    with everyone doing pen-test crack sessions out there.  The site would
    produce a daily file comprising of all the passwords in the list.

    Why?  Everyone on this list has seen "qwerty12345" and the like out
    there.  But what about "qwerty>12345"?  Yet it's a safe bet that that
    password has been used by at least a few people in the entire history of
    passwords.  The ultimate goal would be to crack the "monkeys with
    typewriters" algorithm of password generation by securing the most common
    things that the brain comes up with--even down to the level of commonly
    used two letter combinations (note that this would be different than the
    standard cryptographic techniques because people choose passwords
    differently).  But in the short term it would just be cool to have a
    centralized list to pool efforts.

    Of course, there would be security problems with what was
    submitted.  Something such as  a password of "xyzcorpxyzcorp" would
    obviously be a hazard since there is only one xyzcorp out there, so some
    discretion would have to be exercised by the submitter.  One option would
    be to not have passwords "activated" in the downloadable password list
    unless 2 instances of it occurred.

    Of course I could be barking up a well worn tree.  In that case I'd like to
    see what work has been done in this area.

    -Mike

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/