Re: Online commonly used password database

From: Lee Brotherston (lee.brotherstonat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 15:07:06 PST

    | Of course I could be barking up a well worn tree.  In that case I'd
    like to
    | see what work has been done in this area.

    I'm sure people will disagree with me on this.  But I think that by
    submitting passwords found in the wild that are not dictionary words,
    other than those that are fairly standard guessable passwords (nouns,
    in phrases "aybabtu, ph34r, etc", l33tspeak "p455w0rd"), you will just
    end up in manually creating a list of the full range of passwords that
    you would get by just running: john -i:all -stdout

    Wordlists are good, but the idea is to put the most common words in
    there so that these can be tried first, before your brute forcer goes
    and tries all number/letter/punctuation combinations.  So essentially
    it does do the monkeys with typewriters thing without you needing to
    list the words.

    I would say that a wordlist should be restricted to dictionary words,
    nouns, really common passwords, etc then using something like John you
    can get all those permutations that you want.  Infact taking john as
    an example again, I think that their algorithm even does it's
    permutations in a specific order to auto-generate the combinations
    found in the wild most frequently first (but don't quote me on that
    ;P).

    Anyway, enough of my babble ;)

      Lee

    --
    Lee Brotherston  -  IP Security Manager, Easynet Ltd
    http://www.easynet.net/         Phone: +44 20 7900 4444

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/