best tool to draw attack trees ??

From: Kruse, Darren (DEH) (Kruse.Darren2at_private)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 19:00:18 PST

    I'm puzzling over what is the best way to draw attack trees.
    Attack trees provide a formal, methodical way of describing the security of
    systems, based on varying attacks. Basically, you represent attacks against
    a system in a tree structure, with the goal as the root node and different
    ways of achieving that goal as leaf nodes.
    Bruce Schnier's Secrets and Lies - Digital Security in a Networked World
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471253111/qid=1016671800/sr=8-1/ref=
    sr_8_67_1/002-8209990-0206427 , in particular chapter 21 covers Attack Trees
    There's also a DDJ article on attack trees
    http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=896/ddj9912a/9912a.htm (also by Bruce
    Schnier) that covers virtually the same ground as the book.
    I'm thinking that it would make a really good motivational tool for
    management to see what all the threats are against our systems.
    Having a documented attack tree would also help me in identifying what holes
    ,and threats I need to worry about RIGHT NOW !
    My first thought was to wade in, and start drawing with Visio - making use
    of the layers feature to distinguish between different sets of values..
    Possible / Impossible Cost script kiddie tool released ?
    etc..
    But does anyone know of a more "closely-suited" tool than Visio ? I've done
    a google search on "attack tree" software, and come up blank.
    There are cheaper alternatives to Visio - maybe Kivio mp
    http://www.thekompany.com/products/kivio/faq.php3 ?? Unfortunately, the KDE
    version (Kivio without the mp suffix) doesn't do layers. :-(
    Would a web interface be better ? - certainly for navigating between
    threats, but how about when you want to see a larger part of the tree ? , or
    the whole attack tree ??
    Maybe MS Project ? - it's good at showing inter-related tasks , that have
    dependancies and costs, and can output to HTML as well.
    How about when I want to add , or share bits of someone else's attack tree ?
    It would be cool to be able to download discrete sub-branches, just like you
    download additional Snort IDS signatures.

    Darren Kruse CCNP CCDP
    WAN/LAN Networking Consultant
    Mobile : (+61) 0407 446 399
    mailto://darren_kruseat_private
    http://www.geocities.com/darren_kruse

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/