Re: Default passwords for TSO and CICS ?

From: Glenn Larsson (ichininat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 10 2002 - 11:34:41 PDT

    Rainer Duffner wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > same site, other host.
    > Why someone would world-expose a IBM-Mainframe to the internet (23/tcp) is
    > beyond me, but perhaps they don't know about x3270. ;-)
    >
    > Anyway, when I open a session, I am presented with several options:
    >
    > LOGON userid            TSO
    > CICSI                   integration CICS
    > CICSP                   production CICS
    > CICST                   test CICS
    >
    > (and there's the company-logo on top, but I omitted that :-] )
    >
    > I must admit that I don't no either of the above OSs - I have limited
    > experience with zVM/CMS (-> ipl Linux S/390), but some of the usual default
    > accounts I tried didn't work.
    > Does anybody know some TSO default accounts, if any ?
    > Or CICS ?
    >
    > cheers,
    > Rainer

    Hi.

    I only have limited experience from CICS from the past
    (Bored admin; Reading manuals)however i have an idea;
    How about a simple password sniffer with keystroke
    injection capabilities? Just capture all strokes sent
    via the 3270 app, perhaps even send a few cmds while
    you're at it.

    You could even attack via the macro function (that usually
    exist in the 3270 app) if the user use those on a regular
    basis.

    ...or try a sniffer; if TCP/23 == vanilla Telnet, you can
    try the usual attacks; passing any hashed data, replaying
    traffic etc. (I have no idea if traffic on that port
    support encryption, just an idea.)

    Regards,
    Glenn

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/