Re: SQL Injection Legalities

From: Quickfinger (junkat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 17 2002 - 16:11:38 PDT

    I am not a lawyer, but I do remember reading an article that used a
    very similar example.  I believe this is illegal in California and I
    would not be surprised to hear that it's illegal in Oregon.  Most
    likely this depends on the state, probably the state in which the
    server resides.

    I too am interested in hearing from a lawyer if there is on one this
    list.

    D. Joe Royer II, CCNA, CISSP

    On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Deus, Attonbitus wrote:

    > I hesitate asking the group about law, but here goes:
    >
    > Lets say a site gives you the capability to search their product-base via a
    > web input box.  You know, the standard search/submit deal.
    >
    > You type in "bicycle" and it gives you everything that starts with
    > "bicycle."  Simple enough.  As we all know, web app susceptibility to SQL
    > injects runs amok; lets say in this case that instead of typing "bicycle,"
    > I type "bicycle' or 1=1--" and get all the products.  Have I broken the
    > law?  More specifically, have I broken the law in the US?
    >
    > One could argue that the site is allowing me to specify what I want to see,
    > and all I am doing is typing in what I want...  Though the developer may
    > not have intended for me to pull up the data like that, does my doing so
    > constitute a crime?
    >
    > I'm not looking for ethical or moral debate here, I am hoping someone has
    > some distinct legal experience who knows.  Thanks.
    >
    > AD

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/