RE: how many clients per server w/ nessus?

From: Vince Maes (vince.maesat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 11:36:53 PDT

    Ben

    To share some of my experiences, you may want to consider server and network
    performance tuning issues in addition to Nessus's performance.  If you're
    looking for larger performance requirements, you may want to consider the
    usual suspects: disk io, memory, and CPU.  Before I start adding servers, I
    like to make sure I'm getting every cycle's worth for my penny.  I've also
    had good experience using a separate disk sub-system for logging intensive
    applications.  (A separate controller and disk used for /var, or whatever).
    Keep in mind the old saying, "Security, performance, cost - pick two".

    A word of caution, I've seen many administrators, including myself, make too
    many changes or too big of a change, and cause performance to degrade in
    other applications or parts of the system.  And, be careful of any firewalls
    or proxies you may be traversing when running these tests with a well-tuned
    machine.  Without realizing, I've chewed up too many connections over a
    firewall and...well that's another story (lesson).

    As far as tuning Nessus, keep in mind the checks_read_timeout setting, which
    is 15 seconds by default.  You may want to lower this if you are on a local
    network, but be careful it could cause false positives.  Check your
    /usr/local/etc/nessus/nessusd.conf for current parameters.

    Here's a few links I've found useful for performance related info:
    http://www.geocities.com/techdirectory/performance.html
    http://secinf.net/info/unix/ip-stack-tuning.html

    Good luck and have fun,

    Vince Maes