Re: Determing Microsoft Exchange Versions..?

From: Philipp Buehler (listsat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 10:47:19 PDT

    On 29/07/2002, Simon Waters <Simonat_private> wrote To omegatronat_private:
    > > While I'm at it... is there a way to restrict this information from outgoing messages when using Exchange? Saw a few messages last week that explained how to mask the Exchange server banner, but not for mail headers and such...
    >
    > I find running mail through Postfix and the following line in
    > the badheader file....
    >
    > /^X-Mailer:.*/ ignore

    Still leaves you with the Received: lines, which can be ignored that
    way aswell.

    > But that is technically an RFC infringement, as envelope
    > elements are sacrosanct, but I guess that was more important

    Actually this is not the envelope, and X- headers are subject to
    ignorance anyway.

    Filtering Received: headers is more of a problem, if you need
    deeper debugging, but even this can be resolved.

    And common security enforcements dont fit into the land of
    common RFCs anyway :)

    ciao
    --
    Philipp Buehler, aka fips | sysfive.com GmbH | BOfH | NUCH | <double-p>

    #1: Break the clue barrier!
    #2: Already had buzzword confuseritis ?

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/