Re: Using a Stand-Alone Network Printer as a network attack entry point?

From: R. DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 09:30:04 PDT

    Most printers in a tcp/ip setting have all the network functionality
    enclosed.  I recall years back when I would slip into a UofM printer,
    then telnet off that into a printer at Mankato State, and telnet off
    that...

    So, if you can reach the printer <which, if the network folks know their
    stuff, yer not able to get to from the outside, and should be forbidden
    to go outside from if you are sitting within the soft-chewy center>, yer
    already there <smile>. Jetdirect cards have never been a security
    item...why even try to reinvent the wheel?  Unless I'm misunderstanding
    you here.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne

    --
            admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

    "Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
    business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                    -- Johnny Hart

    testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!