OpenSSH

From: Jeremy Junginger (jjungingerat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 11:41:33 PDT

    Hello,

    I am back again, and auditing an internally accessible ssh server for
    the challenge-response buffer overflow.  I'll keep it brief:

    OS: RedHat Linux (6.2)
    SSH Version:  SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.1p1

    I have already done the following:

    Downloaded and extracted openssh-3.2.2p1.tar.gz
    Patched the client with ssh.diff (patch < ssh.diff)
    Compiled patched client ( ./configure && make ssh)
    Run the "patched" ssh (./ssh x.x.x.x)

    I am receiving the following output
    ./scanssh 172.16.51.23
    [*] remote host supports ssh2
    [*] server_user: root:skey
    [*] keyboard-interactive method available
    [x] bsdauth (skey) not available
    Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

    I have not investigated any further, but don't feel comfortable calling
    the service "secured" without a little peer review.  Do you have any
    tips on manipulating the method, style, repeats, chunk size, or
    connect-back shellcode repeat?  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, and have a great day!

    -Jeremy