Covert Channels

From: Jeremy Junginger (jjungingerat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:08:49 PDT

    Has anyone had success in creating a program that uses IP/TCP/UDP/ICMP
    header information to transmit encoded messages from one host to
    another?  Shortly after reading
    http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue2_5/rowland/ I was very tempted to
    put together a proof-of-concept program to demonstrate the use of covert
    channels (and more imporantly, how they could slip right by the IDS)
    with the tools I had on hand.  I ended up using nemesis (Thank you Mr.
    Grimes), tcpdump, and a little Perl script to kind of piece a tool
    together that would transmit encoded (I use that term loosely) ASCII
    data within the IP id field of the IP header.  It works okay until you
    go through a NAT device that decides to change the IPID :)  I wondered
    if anyone else has attempted to create a similar covert channel, and if
    it is even useful when you can potentially encrypt/tunnel many chat
    applications over a 3DES tunnel on basically any port in order to
    subvert a security policy.

    A penny for your thoughts...

    Jeremy