Re: Covert Channels

From: CJ Oster (cjoat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 16 2002 - 17:40:00 PDT

    A friend of mine and I had once talked about a data transfer package using
    the ICMP payload (16 bytes I seem to recall) to get around the traffic
    limitations imposed on us when we were students.  Since the data limits
    didn't count ICMP packets we didn't really care that all traffic was
    doubled.  Although the fact that the other host sends the data back
    eliminates the need for an acknowledgement.  At the time, I didn't know
    enough about network programming to have any idea about how to get the ICMP
    payload on the receiving end so it was left at that: just an idea.  I had
    forgotten it until now though.  Perhaps I'll write something up in the near
    future.

    -CJO-

    -----
     Charles Oster: CCNA, CCDA, A+, Linux+ Certified
     Network/IT Technician (lordvadr@devonshire-realty.com)

     Devonshire Group, Inc
     201 W. Springfield, 4th fl.
     Champaign, IL 61820

     PGP: 87D5 4216 43A1 42D6 754D  8F5E 24B3 992A B7A1 F556

     [afghanistan ~]# rm -rf /bin/laden
     [afghanistan ~]#