RE: Covert Channels

From: Frank Knobbe (fknobbeat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:19:27 PDT

    For the most part yes. But cutting through the snake oil, aren't there
    products that attempt to detect steganography (i.e. examining images in
    transit to check if they contain hidden messages)? I would consider this
    a covert channel as well.

    But that is exactly my point. We're not there yet. But do you see this
    field looming in front of us? More and more companies have better
    firewalls and IDS and virus scanners and backdoor checkers, etc. I think
    those companies (once other issues, like Brennan mentioned, are below
    critical levels) might take a look and say: Wow, we're there, we seems
    to be secure. Let's see what leaks...

    Also, I'm aware that 'defeating covert channels' is not possible. But we
    should make an effort in developing ideas/methods to detect them.

    Regards,
    Frank