RE: Covert Channels

From: Brooke, O'neil (EXP) (o'neil.brookeat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:51:29 PDT

    On 22 Oct 2002, Frank Knobbe wrote:

    > does anyone think that attempting to solve the covert channel issue is
    > gonna be the next market boon in security?

    for the reasons clearly stated by several bright individuals on this topic
    previously, any product which claims to detect and defeat covert channels
    on a network (or even a multiuser system) is snake oil.
    ___________________________
    jose nazario, ph.d.			joseat_private

    I don't think that the detection of covert channels would be very difficult
    in a secure environment. One commonality for all these covert channels is
    that they all have a large amount of overhead traffic. By analysing traffic
    patterns on the network it should be possible to identify new (to the
    security people anyways) business functions / services or covert
    communication channels.

    Pinging a host should not cause alarm, but sending enough ICMP traffic to
    transmit even a moderately sized word document should raise red flags.
    Having a couple of HTTP POST commands go through the proxy may be normal,
    but a couple of megs going out this way from any one host should again cause
    concern.

    I've seen product demo's for anomaly detection applications, their
    demonstration was a bomb because they spent most of their time discussing
    set theory rather than identifying the tangible benefits of their product.
    This would be a perfect application of anomaly detection technologies
    though. At the time it seemed that the product would generate way too much
    operator intervention, but now that I see a need for knowing about strange
    and uncategorized network traffic, I can see the business justification for
    the investment. Essentially what you need to do as an operator of this
    product is look at the traffic on your production network. The traffic gets
    classified in a series of sets (which host talks to which other host, what
    protocols are used, etc, etc). The operator needs to look at each set and
    identify the sets that are appropriate for the environment. Once tuned, the
    system will spit out a report for any set that falls outside known
    parameters, this includes changes to existing applications / business logic,
    new applications / business logic and covert channels.

    Countering covert channels in this way means that the perpetrator is able to
    get some information out of the network prior to setting off the anomaly
    detection alarms. Depending on how well you know your production environment
    and how secure your known services are (i.e. is the covert channel piggy
    backing on a known communications channel because a known service has been
    compromised?) you could probably lock this down pretty tight so that very
    little information is leaked before an investigation is started.