RE: Covert Channels

From: Omar Herrera (oherreraat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 12:59:57 PDT

    I agree that any third party software/hardware cannot defeat or detect
    all covert channels on a network it is nearly impossible since you can
    use any established protocol and rely on the kind, frequency, timing and
    order of messages rather on the content of messages itself. For example
    a CC could be developed so that it uses an FTP server and FTP
    connections, and the CC message grammar could be a simple yes or no
    based on the time I connect to the server from some IP, or the directory
    or file I intend to transfer from the server, or the order I use to
    browse directory and the list endless (and I bet any CC detection tool
    will have a hard time figuring out if a CC is in place.

    Now, there are analogies with other security tools such as Intrusion
    Detection Systems and Antivirus programs; all these kind of tools work
    based on patterns (no matter if the pattern consist of statistical
    deviations from a "predefined" activity profile or a sequence of bytes
    commonly called signatures). Most problems associated with the evasion
    of this security measures (IDS evasion techniques, polymorphic viruses,
    etcetera) rely on the fact that these tools are in some sense external
    to the resources they want to protect.

    Take for example a network intrusion detection system. Most of these
    tools these days try to emulate the way that protected resources handle
    TCP/IP packets because a Solaris won't react the same way as a Linux or
    Windows system to certain packet manipulations (I recall here the
    excellent document ICMP Usage in Scanning by Ofir Arkin).

    So, this is where I think that development of most security tools
    (including CC detection tools) will try to focus on the next years:
    correct emulation and interpretation of legitimate traffic. And to do
    this, my opinion is that developers will use:

    a) Focus on known behavior rather than unknown behavior: it is easier,
    faster and more reliable if correctly implemented; we already use this
    principle in our firewalls by denying all connections that are not
    explicitly permitted or, don't we? (And yes... there are some drawbacks
    to: flexibility is reduced)

    b) Integrate as much as possible with the resources that we try to
    protect; HIDS systems already try to integrate as much as possible with
    OS and some applications. Also, you see more and more NIDS-HIDS
    integration to help each other sensor understand what it is analyzing.
    Still, I doubt we'll see a CC detection tool able to integrate directly
    into all our server's applications and with the firewall and IDS to
    identify non legitimate traffic.

    c) Integrate cryptographic protocols to prevent unauthorized use of
    legitimate traffic; yes, this might help a lot, still it could be
    extremely painful to users to ask them to authenticate each time they
    want to connect to the outside with restricted protocols. VPNs might be
    extended to cover Firewall-application for this purpose.

    Even then, there will be techniques to bypass these controls and the
    user factor will be always there: how about an attacker that has
    compromised a router outside the company's collection of security tools
    that happens to forward all traffic to User's X favorite news web page
    and this attacker has also bribed User X so that all that he has to do
    is Access this news web page at a certain time for a "yes" and at
    another time for a "no".... good look catching that :-)...

    Omar Herrera