RE: Covert Channels

From: Richard Masoner (richardmasonerat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 12:57:12 PDT

    I've only been following this thread peripherally, but
    isn't covert channel discussion limited to analyzing
    the assurance of Trusted Systems?

    Perhaps my view is limited since Trusted System
    development is something I've done, but it seems to me
    that this thread has been on steganography instead of
    covert channels of communication.

    On a trusted system, for example, a user isn't going
    to modify the IP header to steganographically send
    secret information, because he can't.

    In the Trusted Systems world, covert channel analysis
    and detection is something that is done, and in that
    community it's considered science, not snake oil.
    Part of covert channel detection, for example, might
    be flagging a user who copies text from an X window
    and pastes that text into an X window that's at a
    lower privilege level.

    Richard Masoner