RE: ethics of approaching vulnerable prospective clients

From: giraffe9at_private
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 15:11:17 PST

    Example 2 is clearly not acceptable.  It amounts to an intrusion and would be a
    criminal offence in many countries.

    Example 1 is acceptable.  It is a passive vulnerability scan.  It's like looking for
    web servers that do not use ssl when they ought to be and then you figure those
    organisations need help.  An active vulnerability scan (you send traffic to the
    target specifically to find vulnerabilities, traffic that would not be sent in the normal
    course of business) is not, in my opinion, acceptable.

    9iraffe