RE: Firewall Load Testing

From: Brass, Phil (ISS Atlanta) (PBrassat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2002 - 10:42:10 PST

    One of the problems I have found in this arena is that many hosts
    (windows particularly) cannot hold open more than about 5000
    simultaneous TCP connections.  I know some unices have similar problems,
    though my understanding is that it is possible to frob the BSD kernel at
    least to get at least 40,000 simultaneous connections.  That is all very
    well and good, but unless there are enough target machines behind the
    firewall to handle that many connections, or you get to run your own
    listener on another frobbed box on the inside, you aren't going to be
    able to hold open that many connections.

    One possibility in terms of solution is to take something like Dan
    Kaminsky's excellent Paketto Keiretsu toolkit (http://www.doxpara.com/),
    in particular the scanrand stateless SYN scanner, add a SYN+ACK and have
    it connect to the same port instead of scanning...  Anyhow, the point of
    using scanrand stuff is that it's basically stateless.  The reason many
    kernels won't handle more than a few thousand sockets (as I understand
    it) is that typically kernels allocate some non-paged pool for each
    connection, and non-paged pool is a limited resource.  At least I think
    that's how it works on MS.

    Phil

    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/