Re: Identify OS?

From: Martin Wasson (martin_wassonat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 10:45:07 PST

    Nick,
    Here's my two cents.  It looks like a commercial version of Unix.  My guess
    is Solaris.  The first thing that struck me was port 6112/dtspc.  I'm
    pretty sure that is a subprocess of CDE, so I doubt it's a Linux box.
    Kevin is right about it not being a cisco box.  There is no way it's cisco.
    Look at port 7937/7938 open.  That's Legato Networker 5.5 or later, it only
    runs on AIX, Solaris, IRIX, HP-UX, Linux, & Tru64.  It also runs on
    windows, but this isn't a windows box.  And it doesn't run on cisco.  It
    looks like a honeypot or a dead ringer for a newbie install.  When you did
    an nslookup, did it return "two-dollar-hooker.i-am-so-owned.com." ?  I
    thought so.  As was indicated before.  Connect to as many ports as you can,
    and document the versions of the daemons listening from their blathering
    banners.  Good luck.   I wonder if someone has already compiled a db
    containing what versions of popular daemons are included in various
    releases of *nix.  Hope this helps.

    Marty Wasson
    Global Information Security
    MasterCard International
    (636) 722-2372
    martin_wassonat_private

                          "Nick Jacobsen"
                          <nick@ethicsdesig        To:       <pen-testat_private>
                          n.com>                   cc:       (bcc: Martin Wasson/STL/MASTERCARD)
                                                   Subject:  Identify OS?
                          01/31/03 01:33 AM
                          Please respond to
                          "Nick Jacobsen"

    Hey All again,
    Could any of you give me an idea of what type of machine the following
    might
    be, based on the ports open?  it is sitting at xxx.xxx.xxx.001 on a
    network,
    so I am thinking it is some sort of gateway, but what OS/hardware?  Below
    is
    the results of telnetting to port 23, and the ruslts of an nmap scan (tried
    the identify OS option, didn't do sh*t)

    Nick J.
    Ethics Design
    nickat_private

    <-----------------  Telnet results  ---------------------------->
    Authorized uses only. All activity may be monitored and reported.
    login: cisco
    Password:
    Login incorrect
    <----------------- End Telnet Results  ----------------------->
    <-----------------  Nmap Scan Results ---------------------->
    21/tcp     open        ftp
    22/tcp     open        ssh
    23/tcp     open        telnet
    53/tcp     open        domain
    111/tcp    open        sunrpc
    161/tcp    filtered    snmp
    162/tcp    filtered    snmptrap
    389/tcp    open        ldap
    512/tcp    open        exec
    513/tcp    open        login
    514/tcp    open        shell
    1002/tcp   open        unknown
    1169/tcp   open        unknown
    1433/tcp   filtered    ms-sql-s
    1720/tcp   open        H.323/Q.931
    2410/tcp   open        unknown
    2785/tcp   open        unknown
    2786/tcp   open        unknown
    6000/tcp   open        X11
    6112/tcp   open        dtspc
    7937/tcp   open        unknown
    7938/tcp   open        unknown
    32774/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc11
    32775/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc13
    32778/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc19
    Too many fingerprints match this host for me to give an accurate OS guess
    TCP/IP fingerprint:
    SInfo(V=3.10ALPHA7%P=i686-pc-windows-windows%D=1/30%Time=3E394B34%O=21%C=1)
    T1(Resp=N)
    T2(Resp=N)
    T3(Resp=N)
    T4(Resp=N)
    T5(Resp=N)
    T6(Resp=N)
    T7(Resp=N)
    PU(Resp=N)
    <---------------------  End Nmap Scan Results  ---------->

    This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert
    (SIA)
    Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
    automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
    https://alerts.securityfocus.com/