Re: Netstumbling

From: Joseph W. Shaw II (jshawat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2003 - 17:21:27 PST

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, stonewall wrote:

    > I am interested in the reaction that list members have gotten from various
    > government agencies while netstumbling.  Is there any clear guidance on the
    > legality of 'stumbling?  I am talking here about just 'stumbling, not set to
    > auto reconfigure the card, just assessment and locating WAPs.
    >
    > You cannot be in the security business without being able to assess threats.
    > In this business, paranoia is not paranoia, it is due diligence.  I believe
    > that anyone serious about security must be able to assess wireless zones,
    > overlapping areas, buildings with multiple WAPs, etc.  But have you been
    > threatened by LE personnel in the process?

    Not personally, no, but I recently consulted for a case that was tried in
    Federal Court that might be of interest.  The young man was talking with a
    reporter from the local newspaper and was walking in downtown Houston with
    a Netstumbler equipped laptop.  While walking, he happened to come accross
    a network owned by a county government entity, which was noted in the
    article that followed.  After the story was published in the local paper,
    he was accused of hacking into their network, compromising a machine, and
    him a significant amount of time and money.

    Personally, I've been party to reporting a very serious flaw, but chose to
    do so anonymously through a third party.  While I could have used the
    credibility that came with finding the flaw, especially in this job
    market, I was hesitant to give them my name due to the fact that it
    involved large amounts of money and confidential information.  I only
    wanted them to know the flaw was there and for them to get it fixed, so I
    chose to err on the side of caution.

    Regards,
    --
    Joseph

    Are your vulnerability scans producing just another report?
    Manage the entire remediation process with StillSecure VAM's
    Vulnerability Repair Workflow.
    Download a free 15-day trial:
    http://www2.stillsecure.com/download/sf_vuln_list.html