re: Odd situation, advice needed on penentration test results

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 06:23:26 PST

    Desmond,

    > I think the reason for the original post is because
    > the customer is a
    > fortune 500 company they may choose to keep
    > knowledge of the intrusion in
    > house to avoid embarrassment.

    I don't see how that matters.  If that is the
    case...then why did the OP post at all?  If the client
    wanted to keep it in house, the OP could have simply
    gone to the client and said something.  Informing the
    client doesn't mean that the OP had to inform LEOs, as
    well.

    Yet, instead of informing the client, the OP posted to
    a public list for advice.  How difficult would it be
    to perhaps track down where the post originated from,
    and make assumptions as to who the OP works for, and
    then guess who the client might be?

    > What should the pen-testers do in this
    > case?

    One would think that the answer is pretty obvious.
    Regardless of what the contract for the pen-test
    states, one would think that the only *right* thing to
    do is to inform the customer.

    Remember the problem Microsoft had w/ emails a couple
    of years ago, w/ regards to the suit brought against
    them?  Well, now, we have a post to a public list.
    What happens if someone familiar w/ the incident,
    maybe even the client themselves, see the post?

    > Due to what has been seen it sounds like a
    > fairly sophisticated
    > intrusion that needs to be analyzed and reported so
    > that the security
    > community will know about it.

    Reviewing the original post, there's nothing in it
    that really speaks to the sophistication of the
    intrusion.  Saying that the intrusion is
    "sophisticated" is assuming facts that are not in
    evidence.  The public list has no idea of the
    infrastructure or security posture of the client.

    Regarding analyzing the intrusion and reporting it to
    the security community...well, if you know of a site
    or sites that list such things, please send me the
    link.

    > Most certainly the companies whose software
    > is involved should know about it.  However, the
    > pen-tester is under
    > contract with the customer and most likely there are
    > clauses on
    > confidentiality that precludes the tester
    > independently choosing what
    > actions should be taken or how far the information
    > about the breech can be
    > disseminated.  In the end it's the customers
    > decision isn't it?

    Sure.  But don't you think that the customer should
    have the opportunity to make the decision?  The OP
    basically said that this intrusion was
    discovered...what do we do now?  The OP specifically
    stated that the client hadn't been informed.  It
    should be incumbent upon the OP to inform the client,
    and let them make the decision.  If the client is
    worried about embarrassment due to public disclosure
    of the intrusion...oh, well, kind of late for that,
    isn't it?