Re: Vulnerability scanners

From: Anders Thulin (Anders.Thulinat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 22:58:39 PST

    Dan Lynch wrote:

    > Any input you can offer is greatly appreciated.

       One of the more important factors to consider, I think,
    is if the reporting fits your planned workflow, or if you
    have to butcher it to make it work.

       I'm thinking mainly of the things that have to be done:
    the 'action lists' to be given to the sysadmins.  If reporting
    can be done in terms of their real areas of responsibility it's
    better than if you get a report in terms of C-nets, or types
    of vulnerability, and have to cut and paste it to the form you
    want it.

       Of course, in a stable network, it may not matter much, and
    things won't change a lot. In a newwork with only one sysadmin,
    again, this is not a major issue. In a university-type network --
    lots of more or less autonomous nets where anything can and does
    happen -- it may be very important to ensure reports get out
    as quickly as possible.

    --
    Anders Thulin   anders.thulinat_private   040-661 50 63
    Ki Consulting AB, Box 85, SE-201 20 Malmö, Sweden

    top spam and e-mail risk at the gateway.
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam & viruses
    and gives you the reports to prove it. See exactly how much
    junk never even makes it in the door. Free 30-day trial:
    http://www.surfcontrol.com/go/zsfptl1