RE: http fingerprinting

From: Dieter Sarrazyn (dsrat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 02:41:24 PDT

    Hi,

    I'm not sure if it's this you're looking for but a little trick I used
    with such a webserver was the following:

    The webserver didn't give away it's type & version when I used nc or
    telnet to grab it's banners but the following did work:

    Start a sniffer (e.g. ethereal) and browse to the website (on the same
    host). Then use the follow tcp stream function of ethereal on the first
    Syn, Syn/Ack, Ack combination and you should see the server version. At
    least this worked in my case, something worth to try?

    Regards,
    Dieter